Achari Paneer

As most of you know by now, I am vegan by choice. I very rarely cook using any milk product. Recently I decided to make paneer when my nephews were coming for dinner. They like paneer and it was easy for me to try something new as well. I think it was second time I made something with paneer in recent years. I wanted easy no-spice recipe so that kids can enjoy. Here is the version I made which was enjoyed by adults and kids equally. I have made this twice after that and it was instant hit both the times.

Here is how I made it -

Serves 4-6

1 block of Paneer (1lb)
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Onion
1 Tomato (optional)
Salt per taste
Chili Powder per taste
2-3 tbsp Oil

Achari Masala - (Modified version of The Cooker's Bihari style Chili Pickle Masala)
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Nigella Seeds (Kalaunji)
1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
1 tsp Fennel Seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds

Preparation -
Cut paneer in 1/2" cubes.
Similarly cut onion, bell pepper and tomato in 1/2" cube.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan* and add paneer cubes. Saute paneer for about 10-15 minutes on low-medium heat until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Now heat remaining oil in the pan and add ingredients under Achari Masala. Let all the sees sizzle.
Add onion and roast until translucent.
Add bell pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes.
Now add paneer cubes, tomato, salt and chili powder. Mix thoroughly but carefully.
Lower the heat, cover and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
Check if bell peppers are cooked if not cook until done.
Enjoy with chapati.

Tips -
*I use hard anodized utensils, so I can use less oil. Please use more if you think paneer will stick to the pan you are using.
Garam Masala and little bit of yogurt can be added. But yogurt curdles and it does not add much to the taste.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pav Bhaji Paratha

Sweet Sabudana Khichadi